OK, So Maybe I'm Delusional

Well, I'm back. To reality. In my house. In Wisconsin. Awesome.

Making my (near)-yearly trip to Sanibel is both a blessing and a curse. Unlike normal people who go on a beach vacation and come back with shells, souvenirs, and sunburns, I bring home feelings of resentment...because I don't live in Sanibel.

Come on...who wouldn't want to live here?

You see, it all started when I was six. My parents bought me a book called "Florida's Fabulous Seashells," and I proceeded to become obsessed with it. Hey, Mom and Dad, remember those times when I was sleeping? Yeah, pretty sure I was reading my seashell book with the aid of my trusty flashlight.

This book contains vast information about shells, along with my broken dreams.

 And in that book, there was a sidebar about a magical island called "Sanibel." Where people-sized piles of shells covered every square inch of the beaches. Some of the rarest shells in the world could be found on its shores. And I needed to go there. Immediately.

I could spend hours sifting through just this pile of shells.

So, shortly thereafter, my parents and I traveled to the mythical land of Sanibel for a vacation. Mainly because I wouldn't shut up about it.

And ever since then, Sanibel has been it for me. I don't want to be a tourist there. I want to join the 6,000 Sanibel residents who call it home.

So, why am I not currently perusing the beach for marine treasures, you might ask? Because I'm married to a guy who happens to really love Wisconsin. And hates hot weather. We're splitting the difference with a (hopefully early) retirement there. Because shelling with a cane I'm sure is doable, but may prove problematic.

Anyway, yeah, I had a great vacation. I spotted a couple houses that I wanted to live in forever and forever, but otherwise, good times all around. 

A selection of trip highlights:


1. A visit to the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum where I geeked out. Like, a lot. The marine biologist walked away from me mid-question. I made BJ watch all of the educational videos.


2. Crab Races. Because that's what you do for fun at night on Sanibel (it's an amazing place, but doesn't offer much in the way of nightlife). It's pretty intense (see rules below). Our crabs, Butter and Vegas, didn't even make the semifinals.




3. I saw a group of 15 manatees gracefully swimming in the water and interact with humans as if they were in a Disney movie. Yeah, not really. They were *ahem* enjoying each other's company. And I geeked out. Again. 

 
4. My hubby surprised me with a seashell excursion to one of the uninhabited islands off of Sanibel. Does he know me, or does he know me? Gorgeous views of the water, quality shelling, lunch on a barrier island, and several dolphin sightings. Pretty much, a perfect day for Shelby. 

5. Speaking of my hubby, yeah, he was there, too. And we had an awesome time. I mean, he could've turned to me mid-vacation and said, "My darling, let's run away and live here together for all eternity," but hey, a girl will take what she can get, right? 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment